Wednesday, May 11, 2016
SEO 2016: What's Hot?
These six points are worth remembering as we write for SEO on our resource and game pages:
1. Be thorough, write a lot. 1900 words is the average page winning on Google. Put lots of paragraphs on SEO pages, perhaps folded into open/closing paragraphs.
2. Links are key. Keep getting them. I think anchor text pointing to the page matters a lot.
3. Schema: minor, don't worry about it.
4. Don't stuff. I'm adding: DO write with content vocabulary.
Bad description: "While sometimes confusing, figurative language can often be powerful and illustrative" - Google won't find much here to go on.
Good meta description: "Figurative language, such as metaphors and similes and personifications, can make your writing more powerful" - Lots of contet vocabulary there and it starts with the keyword!
I'm also adding: each page gets a unique meta description and meta keywords
5. Site speed matters!!!!
6. Reduce your bounce rate, increase time on site.
- responsive matters
- local addresses matter
- social media matters
- grouping of pages into a cluster on a common topic matters. And google can think in n dimensions. A figurative language page can be part of multiple clusters by both linking and content such as:
- literary writing: similes, metaphors, reading, writing, personification
- education and standards, classes, schools, students, teachers, grades, educational standards, CCSS etc
- grade level